Re: Octane? Techron in Water Torture?

At 5:34 AM -0800 2/13/05, Peter Migli wrote:
>How about helping an Oilhead newbie.  Where exactly are you inserting
>the water (or biodiesel)?

Through the vacuum ports in the throttle bodies - you'll either have
rubber bulbs on them (capped off) or you'll see rubber hoses coming
down from them, which then travel into the gas fume collection system.

I attach long rubber hose to one port at a time, then with the engine
revving above idle, I put the free end of the hose into a graduated
beaker with a certain quantity of water and "slurp" in several cc at
a time. Not the whole amount. Don't let the engine die, keep it
revving as the water (now steam?) works through the combustion
chamber.

>Better yet, how are folks deciding that their engines have enough
>carbon buildup to require such action?

When I get pinging under load with a hot engine while burning high octane gas.

>Better still, IF carbon deposits are problematic, then WHY are they
>happening?

I suspect I have oil blowing past the rings, and I know I get a fair
amount of oil in the airbox as well. One way or another, it's
crapping up the combustion chamber. This is my speculation, I have
not yet used an endoscope or other instrument to visually inspect the
interior of the head.

- - Andrew