  From: Bob Hadden
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:15 PM
  Subject: Re: Ohlins, Wilbers and Works, Oh my!

  Bob,  on my 98RS, the front shock was so bad at 8k miles that I was
  banging the cylinder head on the pavement in corners.  You can bet I
  replaced it quick.  The rear shock had the screw slot for damping
  adjustment.  It snapped the first time I tried to adjust it.  The
  dealer was interested in selling new shocks, but wouldn't call the BMW
  rep to try to get me warranty at 3k miles on the broken shock.
  Needless to say, I got my Ohlins elsewhere.

  You should ride a friends RS with good shocks for a comparison.  If the
  difference isn't important to you, then don't buy replacement shocks.
  But don't doubt others opinions regarding improved performance.

  Bob Hadden  '05R12GS, '62R27