Re: oilheads-digest V2 #70

Some two thousand miles ago I decided to replace the stock shocks on my '01
R1100RL (the last BMW that looks like a BMW, i.e., black with white pin
stripes and wire wheels; certainly a collectable oil head) with Ohlins. The
bike had about 29k on the original dampers and always had something of a
heavy and sluggish (at low speeds) feel and a somewhat unstable almost
skittering feel at high speeds (say over 75mph). Once installed and
fine-tuned for my height and weight (this was done at the time of
installation and then re-done after about a thousand miles of back road
riding), I can say that the cost (around $1400 installed and fine tuned)
was certainly worth it. The handling improved dramatically, both at low
speed (where the bike felt as if it had lost 75 pounds) and on
twisties--especially those with rough or uneven surfaces. The bike's
handling is simply transformed. It leans in more predictably (and a bit
quicker) and the steering is far more neutral. It stays planted on bad
surface back roads and one often has that "as if it were on rails"
sensation on sweepers. At highway speeds it is more stable. I suspect that
the degree of improvement has to do with the fact that the stock shocks on
this model (rather like those on the R1150R) are not the best that BMW
offers; i.e., that BMW has scrimped on its entry level R bikes. The
originals are not Showas as on the RTs. I've ridden the R1100R of a friend
with Wilbers and the effect is comparable; same with a friend with a
R1100RS (this one with Ohlins). So I think that in many cases--but
certainly if the shocks are worn out or nearly so-- the change is
significant and the improvement dramatic. Whether it's worth it, money
wise, is usually a personal question. But if you like to ride hard and have
the bucks, my opinion (with the aid of hindsight) is that this is something
of a no-brainer.

George Panichas
'01 R1100RL
'05 FJR 1300