02 BMW R1150Ra electrical delema

oilheads-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,BMW2002R1150RA.        015,015 electrical
delema ?    While traversing our beautiful state of Florida from Daytono to
StPete, stoping for fuel with motor running I notict smoke coming from under
the fuel tank. I emediatly shut off power for 5 minits,smoke stopt. Upon
starting bike again I notict smoke again. Could not tell if it was oil or
electrical smell, Spooky !!!  Wated another 5, gast up, rode from Orlandow to
StPete in a total downpoor with emergency flashers all the way home, no
ferther problems, or so I thought!
    PROBLEM !!!!!!
    The foling weekend I noticd that all of the instramentation back lights
are out. All other lighting systems,turn, horn, high low,  hazard ,batery,
oil, turn, ABScheck, brake lights function corectly. Fuses are OK......
    Has anyone had a  similar delema, or can anyone offer advice to repair
?????
     Electrical responces should be Shocking, but most apreciated.
      Cozmo in St Pete.