Re: Bleeder mystery

On 2005 Apr  29 , at 4:47 AM, oilheads-digest wrote:

> The BMW  system is a pressure bleeder that uses a special master
> cylinder cap
> and forces  the fluid down through the system and out the funky
> fitting.
>
> Tom  Cutter
> Yardley, PA

Ah ha! Sounds like a speedbleeder-like checkvalve.

But that should still require funky fittings on both calipers?

BTW, I standardized on Dunlopads for my Airhead. Certainly nice looking
pads (ceramic coating, pretty metal bits), for those who really care
about "detailing" their brake pads. My guess is that there's no free
lunch with brake pads (or tires), for a given level of
engineering/materials smarts, you are pretty much trading-off grab and
longevity. Take your pick.

Conscientious bleeding (which may take a few re-bleeds - may be a
matter of luck) is a bigger issue. Not easy to get all the air out of
some systems (at least for me), especially when fresh fluid is
introduced, and a little air causes a lot of sponginess. Like some
joysticks, a good brake lever should be taut, more like a force
transducer than a distance transducer.

Ben
sunny today in Toronto