Re: Oil Burning Cont.

- -----Original Message-----
From: Bob Hadden <kbhadden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: BMW BMW Oilhead List <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 08 May 2005 21:59:55 -0400
Subject: Oil Burning Cont.

Returned today from a weekend camp out. Total miles 500. Burned 20 oz. of oil. That's 5/8 quart. Relative to our recent discussion about break in oil useage, it that excessive for a hex head?

Bob Hadden '05R12S, '62R27

That isn't excessive according to the manufacture.  I think I read they allow 1.7 Liter per 1,000 miles if I remember the manual correctly, which I thought was excessive.   I know I just came back from 1,000 mile trip and with 1800 miles on the bike (R12Gs)  I used only about 2 Oz of oil.  I rode it hard at mostly 80.  I was actually quite supirsed and pleased.  The bike was a demo with 250 miles when I got it, so I suspect it was ridden a little harder than the average person would do while breaking it in, but they were also short trips so probably not a bad way to break it in, plus they knocked off a good dit on the price.

How are you riding the bike?  are you leaking any place?  Is your tail pipe black? ( I mean the bike not your tail pipe personally) I would think with that kind of oil usage I would suspect that you would have a lot of soot build up.

Anyway, check the manual, I am sure it is in there, but I can't find mine right now or I would fact check it...