  From: Peter Migli
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 11:05 AM
  Subject: Re: mounting head protectors on R1100

  --- conrad long <conradlong@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > On  Sat, 28 May 2005 13:22:56 -0400
  > "Steve Makohin" wrote
  >
  > My possibly incorrect understanding is that the metal
  > head covers got gouged as well as the plastic protectors, so when it
  > came to
  > restoring the bike to pristine condition, the cost was higher than
  > just replacing the head covers.
  >
  > - -Steve Makohin
  >   '01 R1100S/ABS
  >   Oakville, Ontario, Canada
  >
  > I concur with that opinion. I finally chucked mine after they
  > shattered on a
  > tip-over in cold weather. The head covers still got marked up. JMHO.
  >
  > Conrad Long
  > '94 R11RSA
  > Fraser, CO, USA

  Folks,

  I suppose the value of the valve cover guards is up to the individual.
  I am not concerned about whether the guards will allow my valve covers
  to be "gouged" or "marked up" in a tipover.

  My hope is that the guards might prevent the cracking or puncturing of
  a valve cover, and subsequent stranding of me and my bike, while we're
  1000+ miles from home.  But, I'm a function-over-form kind of guy.

  Pete Migli
  South Miami, Florida, USA