  From: Tom Brown
  To: BMW Oilhead List
  Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 8:25 AM
  Subject: Silver is NOT a high-vis color

  >My helmet is very light silver colour.  My choice of colour based on the
  > >"being seen" idea...

  >Bob Silas

  Bob:

  Silver is definitely not a high-vis color!  It's basically the color of
  concrete or dirty tarmac.  Very low contrast with the road.  I have a silver
  car and I always run my parking lights just so people can see me.    Silver
  is, however very reflective and good for keeping cool.   Yellow and white
  are the best for visibility.

  I use a black helmet,   For visibility, I have a checkerboard V pattern of
  reflective white on the back that my wife did for me.    I use to have a
  white Arai with a racerboy dragon pattern on it, but I got a lot of tickets
  with it, so I went for a plainer look.  Seems to help.

  I've got a yellow Joey Dunlop Arai in XL that sits in the box because I
  heard it's a collector's item and I'm afraid to wear it.

  -TB