Re: Of belt drives and rear end failures

Paige.  Almost correct.  We can expect a BMW to have a single sided
swing arm.  This makes the belt change pretty easy if you set it up
like the F650CS where the rear pulley stays with the swing arm when the
wheel is removed.  There is some tension issue to deal with, but
otherwise not a bad job to replace the belt.  These things really work
well on  a 50 hp bike.  And the HDs have a lot of torque at low speed,
so I suspect a belt would be quite reliable for anything BMW would
make.  For  me, I'm waiting for this new 800 twin to come out.  That
should be belt and about 70-80 hp.  Looks like a good combination to
me.

Bob Hadden '05R12GS, '62R27