Re: Anti-sieze

In a message dated 11/10/05 9:06:26 AM Eastern  Standard Time,
fredh@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A few years ago, I was riding with  a friend, me on my R1150R and he on his
Sprint-RS.  His clutch linkage  fell apart and pieces "clinked" off onto the
roadway, but I'm the "be  prepared" type and had a set of tools and hardware
squirreled away over the  airbox, enabling us to put his Triumph back
together.  He got out a tube  of anti-seize as part of the job.  Since then,
I bought a tube  (copper-colored stuff) and slipped it into a corner in the
bike, but that's  where it ends - I've never used it.

Questions:  Where is anti-seize  compound typically needed?  Is it silly to
carry it for road repairs (it  tends to leak out of the container)?  If BMW
specifies a torque value  for a bolt, is that a sign NOT to use the stuff?  I
think of  tough-to-remove lug bolts.>>

On your BMW, I  would limit use of Anti-Seize to very few items. Primarily
exhaust system  hardware and some hardware that rusts easily. For the most part,
keep it away  from your bike. Absolutely do NOT use it on the wheel lug
bolts, as ANY  lubricant on those bolts can cause loosening and failure. BMW is
specific about  that in the manual and service data.

I would never  carry Anti-Seize while touring, as it always leaks, and it
stains everything  that it touches irretrievably. Add that to the fact that it is
really never  applicable in a roadside repair situation, and it is best left
at home. If you  need a little general purpose lubricant, get a small tube of
regular  grease.

Tom Cutter
Yardley,  PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com