Valve Clearance

Andrew:

I tried some bigger clearances on my '99RT.   I hated it.  Much less power.
The increased valve noise was ridiculous.   I don't think it will hurt the
bike, but it sure hurt the fun factor.

- -TB

>From: Andrew Johnson <sundiaL@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Valve adjustment - looser settings

Has anyone gone as far as 0.30mm on intake clearances? Or out to 0.35 or
0.40mm
on exhausts? Would these looser settings (perhaps in combination with
appropriate TPS, BBS, and throttle stop screws settings) tend to improve
low-end grunt and overall smoothness? Are Oilheads at long-term risk from
looser valve settings?

Thanks.