From: "oilheads-digest" <owner-oilheads-digest@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads-digest@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 4:47 AM
Subject: oilheads-digest V2 #67

> [...]
and
> handles like it's on rails.   I'm planning a Hex-Head purchase this year.
> doubt that these shocks will convert yet again, but I'll certainly ask the
> question.
>
> Things that Ohlins has going for it...great damping and brand recognition.
> You can put a used set on the internet and sell them in a week.   Everyone
> knows what they are.    They are well made.   They are not cheap, but you
can
> mitigate that a bit by buying from Wolf BMW in Canada.  They get them a
bit
> cheaper up there.  NAFTA says no duty on them into the states and Wolf
says
> any order over $500 gets free shipping.   No sales tax because they're out
of
> state...obviously.  The parts for rebuilding are actually available to the
> dealers, so you can get yours rebuilt when you want.
>
> Adjustability is only rebound damping front and rear, spanner preload
adjust
> in front and remote preload in the rear, like stock shocks, but they
really
> adjust a noticeable and useful amount. Just a click or two of rebound
damping
> makes a difference.
>
> Things Wilburs has going for it.   FULL compression and rebound
adjustability
> front and rear.   Great workmanship.   Dealers, although not many, are
really
> into it.   Tom Cutter being a great example.   Lower cost.   I've heard
great
> reviews from owners around here.
>
> Then there's these Bitubo shocks.  I know nothing about them.   Except
that
> they're made in Europe and Max Moto seems to be the only dealer.
>
> All that said, the stock shocks on the '04s are awfully good.   I really
> didn't feel an immediate need for new shocks.   Just had them fitted to
the
> new bike because I had them and because I could.   The rear stock shock is
> heavy, but it works well.  Not rebuildable, however.
>
> I won't rebuild until I start to feel some decay in performance.   One
point
> of getting a good set of shocks is that you CAN rebuild them and you can
feel
> a significant difference.   It's possible to run as far on an aftermarket
> shock as a stock one...some people are satisfied going 80K on them, but
you
> defeat the purpose of having great quality damping when you do that.
>
> - -TB
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:53:30 -0500
> From: Robert Silas <robert.silas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Ohlins, Wilbers and Works, Oh my!
>
> I wonder where do people ride, on what kind of terrain, gravel, or
asphalted roads only???  How a stock shock becomes insufficient after 20 -
25,000 miles???
> What do you do to those shocks???  Can we assume that BMW sells a bike for
$20 -27,000 (Can.) and install such lousy shocks???  They fabricate bikes
which last for 125-150,000 miles easily, but not, they put shocks on, which
are good only for 1/6 -th of the life time of all other parts (or most of
those)???

> Guys, you really make me curious. I may just take a deep breath and spend
half as much as I paid for my used '94 RS in '98 at 10,000 miles on it, and
buy a couple of Ohlins.  This year I resisted the temptation and bought a
newer lathe for the price of one Ohlins shock.
> Would be nice to have a larger milling machine, but I may just buy a pair
of shocks, I am getting really curious.
> I have 165,000 km., little over 100,000 miles on the '94 RS with the
original OME shocks.  I don't want anything which has to be rebuilt.  I do
ride 25,000 miles a year but I don't want to take the shocks out and have
them rebuilt every year.  And, what will I ride while they are being
rebuilt, or lost???
> Anyway, I am really curious, no joke, frankly, on the level!!!!!!!!!
> Bob Silas
> Montreal

Los Angeles (and not more than half on slab) and I am OK.
> Bob Silas

on the second link you sent, however, I live in Quebec, the capitol of
potholes, broken up asphalt and generally bad road surfaces. It's known.  I
avoid gravel and bad road surfaces when ever I can.   If I rode with closed
eyes, I would know when I crossed the border towards Ontario or into the
USA.