Front Shock Replacement

Marc:

I put 15K on my Wilbers set last year.  I'm not rebuilding until the end of
the upcoming riding season unless I see a real change in performance.   I
think two seasons is about right for touring.   That's what I did with my
Ohlins and it seemed to work out OK.

I replaced my stock shocks within the first 3K miles because after I aclimated
to the new suspension, I felt the non adjustable front shock was too harsh and
the rear didn't seem to keep the suspension from wallowing a little even with
the rebound damping turned up all the way.    (R1200RT).   The Wilbers has
enough adjustment of everything to make me very happy.

I have a set of near new 1200RT shocks for sale now to someone who doesn't
want to go aftermarket.   I'll insist on exchange so I have something to ride
on while mine are being rebuilt.

Another interesting tid-bit in the stock shock discussion.  The rider's manual
states that there is only two turns of adjustment in the rebound damping screw
on the rear shock.   Sure enough, if you turn the screw all the way clockwise
into the shock and then back it out two turns, you're at the end of adjustment
on the soft side.  The screw will back out much further but it doesn't do
anything after 2 turns.   I thought this was good, and often overlooked
information someone might want to know.

- -TB

>Subject: Re: Front shock replacement on R1150R.

 >> BTW, the Wilbers front shock makes my 02 with 24K miles ride like a new
 >> bike, maybe better than new. The OEM shock must have been really sacked.
 > >The rear still seems OK but I may replace it just to see if there is an
 > >improvement.

>The suspension guy I was listening too last weekend was asked how often
shocks need work.   His advise: every 20K.   Apparently the oil gets
pretty skanky and the valves get covered in the detritus of internal
seals, etc.  Taking them apart, cleaning them, and assembling with new
oil/gas/anything else needed will make them just like new.

>Assuming they are rebuildable, of course.

>This validates my desire to wait a bit before going to after market
shocks.   I've got less than 8K on the current shocks.