Requesting list wisdom re gel battery and Battery Tender Plus

Hello all,

What is the list wisdom regarding a gel battery and a Battery Tender Plus? I
am aware that the makers of the Battery Tender tell you you need a special
Tender, as does BMW. My mechanic says the gel batteries have not been in the
field long enough to conclude if there is any harm done by using a standard
Battery Tender, and that he knows of no cases where he can attribute a gel
battery's demise to using a standard Tender vs a special gel Tender.

What's your take? I live in a part of the country where we see several weeks
of 90'F temps, as well as sitting dormant over the winter at below freezing
temps.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada