From: Ben Barkow <dr.ben@xxxxxxxxx>
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
CC: Steve Makohin <wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Requesting list wisdom re gel battery and Battery Tender  Plus
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:42:44 -0400

There are a few kinds of non-slosh batteries but I'm not sure I know  (or
care, read on) about the differences. I've been using  Westco/Panasonic and
BMW-sealed since 1999. Yes, they once gave me no  notice when they fail and
that is often on a hot day while you are out  riding; pre-emptive
replacement at 3-4 yrs may overcome that awful  drawback as it has for me.

I think trick charging is pure snake oil. For sure the bike's charger  is
about as crude as anything you can buy at Harbor Freight so why  finesse the
trivial (and largely needless) trickle tickle. If there are  differences
among types of batteries or different results from  different charging
regimes, can't be all too important since the crude  bike charger makes no
distinction.

Although I have an assortment of lab-grade regulated power supplies on  my
bench, I use a wall-wart $8 trickle charger that, like the paint pot  in
PhotoShop, just slowly pours juice into the battery and when the  battery is
near full, naturally tapers off and that's that.

BIG FAVOR: I'm comparing the flow rate of air filter media and would be
grateful to get some paper/stock R1100S filters, please. Please ding me
off-list.

If anybody wants a peek at some of my unusual mods and tools:

http://bigmail.ica.net/users/barkow/Pictures/

Cheers.

Ben
                                           Ben Barkow, Toronto... 40 seasons
on Beemers, 45 as a biker

1961 R69s/rod, 1967-1999... really sup'ed up and fast

1984 R80RT/rod, 1998-2005  5 extra peak ponies in a wider flatter power
band,
   much modified 2-into-1 exhaust, CR 9.5, Keihin PJ 34mm oval carbs,
   Uni filter, dual-rate springs with cartridge emulators, BT45/S11,  Saeng
fairing

1999 R1100S, 2004- Leo Vince exh, JetHot coatings, Techlusion 1031,
   large sticky foam filter, TB balance tube, debaffled exh xover, 12%
reduced front spring, 26 inch windscreen, air horns, Diablo Stratas