Re: Air box... why?

Hello Doug,

From: "ABSDoug" <absdoug@xxxxxxxxx>

> Why am I not better off ditching the air box & two air filters direct off
> my throttle bodies? Could use the unused O2 sensor hole to create vacuum
> in the engine. I ask this expecting to learn why this idea is bad, so fire
> away.

No offence intended, Doug, but I find the "why" approach to problem-solving
to be much more effective than the "why not" approach. Without knowing your
criteria for proposing this change, let me give you an example of using the
"why" approach...

o I want to permanently remove the airbox off my BMW R1100S. (why?)

o I want to increase power. I have observed that the air box has a
  relatively small intake hole. I believe that my unrestricting the air
  flow into the engine, I will give it substantially more power.

In just two steps, we have discovered the motive behind the proposed change
(more power), and the hypothesis that is being tested (removing the air box
will unrestricted the intake airflow, resulting in an increase of power).

At this stage, readily available information tells us that, in the example
above, the hypothesis has been proven false by testing. One such test has no
air filter at all, and no air box (i.e., totally unrestricted air flow up to
the throttle body), and yet the dyno showed no meaningful increase in power.

So, to turn your "why not" exercise into one which may be more productive,
faster, consider formulating an objective (what is it you want to achieve),
and build on that. Good luck!

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada