Gearbox noise

Hi,

My '99 R1100RT always had a very audible gearbox, more so than my
previous bike, an R80RT. I think it is largely due to the fairing - it
seems like the gear whine bounces off the front and then up through
the hole between tank and instrument panel.

Lately, it has become much louder, and I wonder what this could be.
I'm going to have a BMW guy listen to it, but just wondering if there
are any standard issues with the gearbox. Hopefully they fixed the
circlip issue I had with the R80 by now ;-).

TIA,

Cees