Re: 34K, chain tensioner still noisy

Andy wrote:

The chain tensioning components of the oil pressure chain tensioning
(2002 R1150RT) system are getting louder. It's not just at startup but
lasts the entire ride (50-600 mi) and changes volume as a function of no
correlatible variable that I can see. Is there an age or symptom which
would signal that it's time to replace a component? Moreover, I wonder
how much of the rattling and noise might be elsewhere in the overall
valve lift system, e.g. push rods. I check the valve clearances
frequently and keep them at 0.006" and 0.013" intake/exhaust. The local
BMW wrenches say the engine racket is normal, but they also agree that
my bike is more clattery than their other clients' bikes. On most
occasions those wrenches are less than clever. Any ideas?

Definitely sounds like the tensioner. If you go to http://www.advrider.com/forums and do a search, you'll discover that this is a common symptom/behavior on the 2002s. You can also find a how to to change the part yourself. It appears to straightforward, but not simple. The noise that the honored Mr. Silas describes is a different animal. My '95 RS made that same clutch-related noise (so did my 1999 VW, btw), as did my brother's and a buddy's RSes.

--
Don MacQueen, Shelby NC