Oil Level Site Glass

The Oil Level Site Glass on my 97 GS has been "weeping" around the edges.  More than one person has suggested I replace at the next oil change - some have told me detailed stories of sudden hot oil on their leg...
Now is the time - I am changing fluids, filters (including fuel!) and adjusting the valves.  Good time to tackle the Site Glass.
I am looking for a reliable PROCEDURE, TIPS and CAUTIONS.  Driving a screwdriver thru the center of the glass sounds scary to me.

Dean

Get your own web address.