Re: New to BMW and have a few questions please.

Hello,

From: "Tom Cutter" <tpcutter@xxxxxxx>

The issue of "clunkiness" can be very subjective. If your clutch is properly adjusted, then you should be able to shift pretty quietly with some practice.
[...]

My experience is somewhat different. I find that I get a very noisy "clunk" from BMW Oilheads when I am at a stop and I shift into first. Similarly if I am coasting in neutral, and then I shift into 1st or 2nd gear. The newest generation of Oilheads, the Hexheads, have transmissions that are on par with Asian's, in my experience -- They engage from neutral surely and quietly, and the shifter lever feel is smooth with a short throw.

-Steve Makohin
'01 R1100S/ABS
Oakville, Ontario, Canada