Re: Clutch or gearbox question

Notchy gearbox (clunking or getting the shifter to find the gear)
especially when downshifting. (I think, some of it could be related to
using synthetic oil in final drive when serviced??)

...compared to how it usually is?

'Clunky' and 'notchy' are common words when it comes to BMW gearboxes. When decelerating, you definitely have to be at the right speed to execute a smooth downshift for each gear. I'm not sure of the technical reasons, but afaik it's the type of gearbox design and doesn't mean there is a problem.

If you mean 'worse than usual' that's something else.

Mark