What you can really expect from GS intake/timing/valve lash mods

I've been reading about a variety of low buck things
to do that will improve midrange, and it seems that
advancing static advance 2-3 degrees, installing the
GS intake tracts, and increasing valve lash a bit
optimize low and midrange performance.  I'll not be
replacing the exhaust or doing anything to extend
torque above 6000 RPM so this work seems to be the
thing to do.  Who has done these things, and what
tangible difference did these changes make?  This
sounds like something I could do over Christmas (If I
get the manual) if there are real benefits to it.