Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:04:50 -0500
From: "Doyle, Kevin CAPT SEA07, 073" <kevin.doyle@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Slipsliding away Revisited

Thanks John and Clive for your commentary.

The tires were Continental Road ______ (?) Pilots I think . . . I always
felt they were a decent tire. About 3K miles on them. Since the "cold
tires" theory seems plausible, it just underscores how careful we have
to be on those cold, sub 40 degree days, with those first, initial
miles.

Another idea here is salt. I have read in the past about dried salt being slick and heavy especially in intersections. Early last spring I experienced that myself as I fishtailed through a turn in an intersection which appeared dry and clear but my rear wheel broke free under light acceleration. I was lucky not to go down on my R90S and now I know about one more danger of those first early spring rides. Take Care.

Bob
1999 R1100RT
1976 R90S