Re: Slipsliding away Revisited

Ive noticed that we have had replies from very different climates.
It must never get cold where Clive and Joe live. And Kevins upper
30 degree day must have been a bit unusual for Virginia. Bob, Conrad
and I live in areas where we pretty much have to call it a season at
some point.

I have had Bobs experience too. I live in Southeast Michigan where
they still salt a LOT (or occasionally use the more expensive
alternate a KCl slurry??). The salt does just as Bob describes. A few
days of dry cold weather and traffic has beaten it into talcum powder
and it builds up in every corner. In addition to being nearly
invisible and slippery, I just hate what the salt does to the bike.
In this powdered form it gets everywhere (even inside cables and
electrical connectors). So, I stop my season when they put down the
first salt (early-mid December) and I dont usually ride much until
weve had a couple of good wash-out rains in-between the early spring
saltings (mid-March-ish).

But I also had a recent sand-on-road experience. Two summers ago
(August), when I wasnt able to take my track bike out, I went for a
spirited ride on the R1100RS along a river road. I have a favorite
tight, uphill right-hander that I like to take a tad faster than the
indicated 20mph. I was brainless and forgot that we had hard rains
the night before and due to the uphill grade of the road, the gulley
wash was spread thinly and nearly invisibly over the road at the
corner entry. I was wearing armor head-to-toe, etc. and neither I nor
the bike( apart from the right valve cover) was damaged much. You
just can't read David Hough often enough.

The WORST/BEST part was that right behind me was a foursome of very
friendly Harley riders, who stopped, got my bike up, made sure I was
alright and departed with a cheerful Be careful, buddy. Ride safe!
So there I am in armored leathers and riding boots, CF gloves, etc.
And I wave them my thanks as they depart... each barehanded, wearing
sneakers, shorts, tee-shirts and those crazy mini skull caps that
pass as helmets.

A great lesson in humility, and appreciation for friendly bikers/
riders everywhere.

-- john merlin ...

John Merlin Williams

1999 Ducati ss 750