RE: problem with adventure

Hi Ricwolt,

I have the filter "out" of the tank on my R1100RT and have had no problems
whatsoever.  I would think that your bike might need a tune up including
adjusting valve clearances (easy to do) and checking and setting the
throttle bodies and the "big brass screws" (BBS).

The 1150 series normally do not need adjustment of the "throttle position
sensor" but it would be worth checking that the RH throttle is synchronised
with the LH one and then that the BBS's (which are basically "volume"
screws) are open a similar amount to give an idling speed of ~1100rpm.

Your bike should idle smoothly at 1100rpm when its running well and never
"cut out".

If you need any further info please just ask - There are many on this list
who can assist or refer you to further information.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa
R850R
R1100RT

Hello, I am new (1 day) to the list and trying to work out how it works. I
hope someone can help with the following problem. Over Easter i bought a
2003
R1150 Adventure 2300 km away and rode it home. The owner is a personal
friend
and told me that it had a problem. With Normal riding (100-130 km/hour)
everything fine. When i come to a town and slow down to 60 km/h the bike
starts to misfire , surge,splutter, cough backfire etc. If i stop at traffic
lights the engine sometimes cuts out.

My friend told me that the local BMW workshop had placed the fuel filter
outside the tank by his request. Nothing wrong with that, however it was
from
that time on that the bike seemed to play up.
The bike has done 43000 km and has had it 40.000 km service.
Does anyone has any ideas where to sart looking and /or what the problem
could
be?
kind regards
Ricwolt- Brisbane Australia