Speedometer not working

Hello Oilheads,

About two weeks ago I changed the front tire on my '99 R1100RT after which the speedometer stopped working. Since then I have removed the cable to see if the drive turns with the front wheel. It does and when I removed the cable sheath from the wheel the inner cable slid out. Is that normal? I removed the inner cable and both ends appear intact. I reinstalled the cable, still no speedo. Does anyone know what I might have screwed up here or what I should do next to find the problem?

Thanks,
Bob