Re: Alternator Belt

<<Well the RT1100 is up and running. All it took was a new alternator belt, which by the Hanes book should be replaced every 36,000 miles. Mine broke at 41,000.>

Did you carefully inspect the wiring harness to the Hall Sensor? That wire harness frequently gets damaged as the belt shreds, leading to another pedestrian experience in the near future.

Thanks for all the insight and help of the list. I did do some checking of the alternates that were suggested and they were wrong. Correct belt for the 2000
RT1100 at an auto parts store is: 4PK611SR>>

The numbers were not wrong, your auto parts guy just doesn't understand how to work the cross-reference systems. They are confusing and sometimes contradictory.

That 4PK611SR number should cross-reference to the 5 04 024 0 Dayco Poly Cog Belt. I have used many of thse with 100% success. I have sold only two OEM BMW belts in the last four ears. Both have failed prematurely. I have the correct belt installation and tensioning tools and a belt tension gauge.

Glad to hear that you are back on the road. Obtain and carry a spare belt.

Tom Cutter
Yardley, PA
http://www.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com
*"To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did." *