Re: fuel system-The nightmare continues

Although you're having problems with the fuel lines, I had problems with the vent tubing.

When my '94 R1100RS was about 4 years old (with about 45k on the odometer), the fuel overflow tube developed a slight, but constant leak. I took the tank off, the filter and sending unit out, and found the rubber tubing was stiff and had developed cracks around the ends around the clamps.

At that time I decided to "externalize" the fuel filter following Lentini's instructions. I also swapped out the RS fuel filler neck for an RT to make topping off the tank easier. FYI...here's the original RS filler and the shorter-necked RT model...
http://colorado-artist.com/bmw/images/bmwfiller04.jpg

I checked with my BMW dealership for replacement vent tubing and clamps. The replacement tubing was much thicker walled than the original tubes. Here's the pic showing the replacement tubing on the left and two of the original tubes on the right...
http://colorado-artist.com/bmw/images/bmwFilter06.jpg

The new vent tubing wasn't cut to exact length, there was plenty to work with.

For clamps I found some small ones with three prongs which, at first seemed like they'd work and would be easier to use than the BMW clamps. However, I found I could pull the tubing off of the nipple with the alternate clamps where as the BMW clamps wouldn't allow the tubing to slip off at all. Here's the BMW clamp and the alternate on the right...
http://colorado-artist.com/bmw/images/bmwFilter04.jpg

Although these weren't pressurized lines, I decided to use the BMW clamps although I wasn't sure what I'd use to close them. After a little trial and error at the auto parts store, I found this tool, a CV Boot Joint Plier #25326 for $5. It worked reasonably well...
http://colorado-artist.com/bmw/images/bmwFilter02.jpg
http://colorado-artist.com/bmw/images/bmwFilter03.jpg

For the conversion of the fuel lines I used 5/16" fuel injection hose. No problems with or hint of any leaks from the connections to a Deutsch FF401 filter.

Anyway, the fuel filer is certainly much simpler to replace and ten years later, no leaks from the vent tubes or fuel hoses.

Karl