Re: The trail of pissing fuel saga update

Will,

Humm...I have a similar bike, a '94 R1100RS and did similar mods many moons ago. I moved the fuel filter and use the Autolites for a number of years. I do now use Bosch +4 4418's but only because I thought the Autolites corroded to easily.

The bike runs normally with 5 bars showing on the temp at highway speeds and it gets around 45mpg.

I've never cleaned the big brass screws. I hadn't really thought about it.

It does seem very odd that you'd have to screw the right hand one in all the way to balance the throttle bodies. I just balanced the ones on my bike recently. I went and checked. Both screws are around 1 1/4 to 1 1/8 turns out.

Something is happening on that right side. My best guess is the throttle cable isn't fully seated in the pulley. While you're there, check for any bits of gravel wedged in the pulley's slot under the cable. I had that happen once and it made balancing the TBs problematic and the bike ran like shit.

That reminds me, one time after doing a TB balance the idle speed was way up. I found the throttle cable wasn't fully seated at the throttle.

Did you remember to connect the vacuum hose, or seal off the vacuum nipples on the bottom side of the TBs?

Sparkplugs tight? Exhaust pipes tight at the head? One time the dealership forgot to do more than finger tighten the exhaust pipe's nuts one time. Bike ran like crap then too.

As for the gauge possibly being wrong. An engine running at 5 bars gives off noticeably more heat than one at 2 bars. Does it feel like the engine is at 2 or 5?

Anyway, I'd recommend taking a close look at that right hand TB. Something is going on there.

One more mod for ya. You could swap out the air tubes for ones for a GS, also a Lentini mod...
http://members.macconnect.com/users/k/karl/bmwgstube.html

Karl