Another Pump Replacement
Tuesday, Mar 14 2017
Happy π Day.
Three years ago the pump on my espresso machine stopped working. I replaced the pump with a top end version that used brass in place of plastic. The original pump lasted over nine years. The replacement only lasted three. This time I’m not springing for extra brass.
I removed the top to get at the screws needed to remove the back. I removed the front cover to check that all was OK. All is OK. Except for the pump (it is in the back). And sometimes the pump is OK, too. Sometimes is not all the time. That is not good enough.
Once the back cover is removed it doesn’t take long to unhook a couple of wires, the water inlet, and the water outlet, and remove the pump. With the pump in hand I removed the output fitting so I could transfer it to the new pump. I don’t need the teflon tape. The new pump was installed and the water and electrical connections hooked up. Test time. It pumps. It doesn’t leak.
Before reattaching the case I tilted the machine on its back and replaced the group gasket. The one in the machine wasn’t leaking yet, but it is a wear part and as long as I’ve got the maching apart I may as well attend to it now. Also, it’s easier to remove when the gasket is somewhat pliable. If you wait until it is rock hard you have to get out the Dremel machine. BTDT
The machine is back where it belongs, warming up. It will be ready when I finish lunch.