Project: side cover screws

<=== Prev Next ===>


Sunday, May 28 2017

A discussion on the AdvRider dr650 thread about removing the saddle brought up the idea of using some kind of screw with a knob instead of the cross head screws that come from the factory. I went out to the garage and made some screws for the side covers. I’ll look at replacing the screws for the saddle, later.

m6 x 1.0 threads

m6 x 1.0 threads

m6 x 1.0 threads
Knurled handle

Knurled handle

Knurled handle
Joined with retaining compound

Joined with retaining compound

Joined with retaining compound
Installed on bike

Installed on bike

Installed on bike

The job would have been a lot easier if I’d had some 6mm x 1.0 pitch all thread on hand. Instead I turned down some drill rod to 6 mm. It was the closest thing on hand to the desired 6mm. I then used a die to create about 20 mm of threads. Ends are chamfered. This was done twice for the two screws.

Next I turned down some brass to 20 mm in diameter to make the screw heads. A 6 mm x 1.0 hole was drilled and tapped about 6 mm deep into the 8 mm thick screw. The surface was knurled. I didn’t have my bump knurler adjusted correctly for one of the screws so have a diaganal pattern from only using one of the knurling wheels. Good enough.

I used loctite retaining compound (638) to permanently attach the brass head to the steel screw. It works great on the left side of the bike (pictured). I should have made the screw head thicker on the right side as the plastic partially blocks access to the full depth of the screw head.

Still, I like this better than having to break open the tool kit to remove the covers.

See this page for the second part of this project.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>