SNAFU home page over the years
The codewright/snafu home page
snafu.org was registered the end of 1997. I had the domain name codewright.com which was sought by a company that made a product named codewright. I registered codewright.org and snafu.org before I was sure that the codewright.com name would stay mine.
I let the codewright.com name expire once the company that lusted after it had sold their business. I offered the name gratis to the company that took over the codewright product. I stopped paying attention after that. I see that as of Feb 2014 that domain name is for sale. Eventually I stopped using the codewright.org name, too. Everything around this site is a snafu so that is the name that stuck.
In 1998 I started putting my web pages under a revision management system. I recently pulled the pages out of that system as they existed at the start of each year. The following shows the progression from then to now;
This was the look when I first added the pages to the CVS revision management system. Notice the disclaimer on codewright.com. Not much to the page. Mainly links to the SMBC and a few scripts.
I added a section on my motorcycles. This came about when I got my R69S and started tearing into it for a restoration. A link to the Garmin upload and download utility I’d writted was added to the source code section. I also added a link to the pages my daughter maintained.
A new look with a menu on the left side of the screen. The motorcycle section got a link for my then new K1200LT and I started adding pages for the pictures and notes taken during the Saturday get-together at Groeger Special Tooling. Links to websites belonging to family members made the menu, too.
The menu gets some color. That’s about the only change between this page and the snapshot a year earlier. I was still active in OpenBSD ports development and wrote up how to run OpenBSD on my then new Thinkpad laptop.
In 2001 I re-designed the look of all pages on snafu.org. All mention of codewright.com and the disclaimer that went with it are gone. A new motorcycle replaced my K1200LT and was added to the menu.
I added a search bar for site searching to the home page. Notes on my latest laptop (they didn’t last long back then) topped the source code list.
Computer monitors are showing more pixels. Use them.
Most of the changes were under the covers, so to speak. I moved away from using the Apache HTTP server, switching to thttpd.
In 2005 the oilheads mailing list moved to snafu.org. In 2006 you can see the link I added a link to the front page to access the mailing list archives. The list would stay on snafu until closed due to lack of messages in late 2013. I also added a link to the section on my latest Motorcycle, a 2005 R1200GS.
I stopped mentioning codewright.org in the home page. www.codewright.org would still work for a few more years, bringing people to the snafu home page. Getting rid of the codewright description gave me room to add “recent additions” to point out what changed behind the home page. A link to the Mid-Week Riders page was added to the menu.
Not much of a change. I added links to some Gimp scripts I’d written to help with image processing. This was just before I started using a Mac as my desktop machine.
Again, not much of a change. The recent additions are different.
I changed from using CVS revision management to using git. For a while pages would have $Id$ at the bottom until I tracked them all down and removed them. It was a keyword that CVS replaced with the date of last change. I’d written my first OS X application and provided a link. Soon afteer writing the program Apple added the function to iPhoto and Aperture. A few people still find my version useful.
From blue to grey. The color scheme changed and I re-arranged the items on the home page so the recent additions — now labeled New stuff — come first. The source code section got smaller as I don’t bother mentioning very old code and scripts on the home page.
There is no image for 2012. There was a short while that I played with using a blog format for my home page. I was never quite satisified with the results and changed back to a slightly modified version of the old format. I disliked the blog code so much I not only stopped using it, I excised it from my revision control system.
The source code section is completely gone. All code was moved to github where it can be found and used by anyone. The OS X app GeoTag has been moved to the menu along with a link to “Misc Moto Pics”. The source code to GeoTag is also on github.
Bigger text. The body is centered in the page with width constrained to make reading the page when opened full screen on a 27 inch monitor easier. A link to my latest bike has been added to the menu along with a link to “Photography” for the few photography related pages I’ve written and an “Other” category for anything else. The “Oilheads” entry is now named “Oilheads archives” as the mailing list is dead.
The white box around the menu is gone. Distance between menu and body varies with window size. A new entry is added under Motorcycles to document changes made to a DR650SE I purchased the end of 2014. I also added a link to my ello page where I sometimes share images. By now everyone knows what a link looks like; explicit [link] indicators no longer used. Page CSS modified to be a bit friendlier with mobile devices.
At the start of 2016 only my picture in the contact area at the bottom of the page changed. I didn’t bother taking a screen snapshot.
The page still looks quite similar to the 2015 vesion. The “Family” heading in the menu is gone. The “Marco’s Picture Gallery” link moved to the Miscellany” heading and is now called “Snapshots”. The link to my brother’s business was removed when he passed away. I now have an SSL certificate for snafu.org and sub-domains. The use of https over http for access is preferred.