Side stand foot, take two

Monday, Aug 4 2014 [13,171 miles]

This time last year and about 12,000 miles ago I made a side stand foot extension and attached it to the bike. Details here. Sometime last week it fell off. The foot was great while it lasted but obviously my mounting technique needed improvement. OK. Time for a second try. I still had plenty of aluminum and the original template. I’ll try different mounting hardware this time.

Different hardware

Different hardware

Different hardware
smooth rough edges

smooth rough edges

smooth rough edges

I cut out another blank using a jig saw and smoothed the edges with file and Dremel tool. This time I’m going to drill and tap holes into the side stand and use some 5mm machine screws to screw the foot directly to the stock stand.

drill template

drill template

drill template
5mm holes, countersunk

5mm holes, countersunk

5mm holes, countersunk

I eyeballed the position of the foot extension on the side stand and drew an outline of the stock foot and marked the location of the mounting holes. A 13/64 drill bit is just about the right size for a 5mm screw. Once the screws holes were drilled I drilled the countersink.

First hole drilled

First hole drilled

First hole drilled
Hole tapped

Hole tapped

Hole tapped
temp mount to locate second hole

temp mount to locate second hole

temp mount to locate second hole

I marked the location on the center stand of the outside hole then drilled and tapped the hole for the machine screw. I mounted the side stand plate using one screw to better locate the proper position of the second hole. Once marked with a center punch I removed the foot and drilled and tapped the second hole. That hole can not be seen as it is inside the side stand down tube.

Test fit

Test fit

Test fit
Mounted foot with black RTV silicone sealant

Mounted foot with black RTV silicone sealant

Mounted foot with black RTV silicone sealant
It holds the bike up

It holds the bike up

It holds the bike up

I loosly mounted the foot to test that I got the hole positions right. Looks good. I removed the foot and cleaned the bottom of the side stand and the top of the foot extension with alcohol. Once the alcohol dried I smeared a bunch of RTV silicone over the bottom of the side stand to keep moisture out of the gaps beween it and the new foot extension. I attached the extension using the machine screws with Loctite. Lastly I smeared more RTV over the top of the foot because the tube of RTV was almost empty. Also, it matches the goop that has squeezed out between the extension and the side stand when I tightened the screws.

Hopefully this time the extension won’t fall off. If it does I have more aluminum.