1966 BMW R69S Restoration: January 1999

<=== Prev Next ===>


1999 January 2 (Saturday)

Steering stem
Out of center steering stem

Out of center steering stem

Out of center steering stem
Steering stem bow fixed

Steering stem bow fixed

Steering stem bow fixed

The bow in the fork steering stem (noted earlier) was minimized by careful use of an arbor press in the hands of Joe Groeger. However, when an upper fork guide was placed on the forks it could be seen that the fork steering stem (the tube in the center) was not quite centered in the guide. That problem was resolved, later.

Front swing-arm
front swing-arm on bench

front swing-arm on bench

front swing-arm on bench
Swing-arm bearing races

Swing-arm bearing races

Swing-arm bearing races

The front swing-arm alignment was checked in Joe’s alignment jig and found to be just fine. Once alignment was checked the bearings were removed. Ugh! One side was full of rust. I wondered if it was the same side as the corroded shock assembly. The close up shows the two races. You can see wear on both and the rust on the left race. Obviously new bearings and races must be installed when it comes time to put things back together.

1999 January 3 (Sunday)

Frame repairs
Frame tab removed

Frame tab removed

Frame tab removed

I worked on removing the seat tabs the previous owner had welded to the frame. The left side is done, or at least as done as I was going to get it. It will look OK once painted. I learned I need to get closer with the cutting wheel before hitting it with file, grinding wheels, sandpaper, etc. It goes much faster that way.

1999 January 4 (Monday)

Frame repairs (continued)
Both tabs removed

Both tabs removed

Both tabs removed
Right side tab removed

Right side tab removed

Right side tab removed

The tab on the right side was removed more quickly than the left. Experience pays. Again, it will look OK when painted. I still may put a bit more elbow grease into it with various grades of sand paper to get that area of the frame a bit smoother.

1999 January 6 (Wednesday)

Speedometer
Speedometer

Speedometer

Speedometer

This is what the speedometer looks like when I started. Note the unreadable digits on the odometer. I dropped it off at Palo Alto Speedometer. They’ll call tomorrow with an estimate.

The estimate was less than $200 (my target) so I said go ahead and fix it. They’ll call when it’s ready to pick up.

1999 January 12 (Tuesday)

I now have the proper tool to remove the wheel bearings.

Wheel bearings
Rear wheel

Rear wheel

Rear wheel
Rear wheel bearing stack

Rear wheel bearing stack

Rear wheel bearing stack

The rear wheel was in front of me, so that was the one I started with. The bearings were OK, but they will be replaced, anyway. It was interesting to note that a home made shim was added, suggesting that the bearings had been replaced in the past. The plug cover for this wheel is the type that uses a modern seal instead of the felt ring. There is still a felt ring on the hub that will be replaced.

Front wheel

Front wheel

Front wheel
Front wheel bearing stack

Front wheel bearing stack

Front wheel bearing stack

I should have expected this: the front was not in as good shape as the rear. First, the reducing bushing took a harder mallet whack than I thought should be necessary. Then once the plug cover was removed I saw it was the older type with a very dry felt ring. This is the same wheel were the felt ring on the hub fell out when removing the wheel. The felt ring caps are corroded. One of the races is pitted. Both bearings need to be replaced even though they are not the German originals. I’ll replace the plug cover with the newer type to get rid of all of the felt seals.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>