1966 BMW R69S Restoration: April 1999

<=== Prev Next ===>


1999 April 05 (Monday)

Powder coated parts
Powder coated parts

Powder coated parts

Powder coated parts
Powder coated frame

Powder coated frame

Powder coated frame

I picked up the newly painted parts from the powder coater. Each piece (except the frame) was sealed in plastic. I’ll keep it that way until it is time to bolt them together.

Steering head detail
Steering head

Steering head

Steering head

The work looks quite good. This close up of the steering head shows no powder on the threads of the screw holes used to mount the serial number plate.

1999 April 07 (Wednesday)

When I got the frame back I first thought that I’d made a mistake by leaving the steering bearing races in the steering head because I would likely damage the new powder removing the races. On second thought I was glad I did it that way. The old races protected the seat from wayward powder. Once the old races were removed I had a perfect surface for the new races.

Steering bearing race
Old steering bearing race

Old steering bearing race

Old steering bearing race
Race almost removed

Race almost removed

Race almost removed

With a plastic bag tied around the steering head to contain most of the junk I attacked the race with a Dremel tool using various bits. A cut-off wheel worked best. Once the race was almost cut through I cracked it with a chisel. Once the race cracked it came out easily. If using this technique wear safety glasses. When the race finally cracked small, sharp pieces of steel went flying.

Lower race
Lower race

Lower race

Lower race

I used the same technique for the lower race. It came out much faster. I also learned how not to chip the new paint around the steering head. The picture shows the first cut with a cut-off wheel.

Frame on stands
Frame on jack stands

Frame on jack stands

Frame on jack stands

This picture shows the frame on jack stands. It looked kind of small compared to the monster K1200 LT sitting next to it. You can see the R69S engine covered with plastic on the work bench. You can also see the air cleaner cover. No, it wasn’t chromed. The “aluminum” rattle can paint I bought turned out to be a color called “Aluminum Chrome”.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>