1966 BMW R69S Restoration: June 1999
1999 June 04 (Friday)
The paint on the controls is dry. I can now put them together. Getting the grip on the throttle tube turned out to be a bit harder than expected. Queries to the airhead mailing list say I should try using hair spray as a lubricant that then dries sticky. Gas can do the same thing. I’ll have to give one of those a try.
The hand control assemblies are pictured. The tube in the middle of the picture is the throttle tube. I haven’t put the rubber grip on it, yet. I wont do that until after it is on the bike.
These pictures show the handlebar mounted left grip and controls. The right controls have been also been mounted. I’ve not yet installed the right grip, though.
1999 June 21 (Monday)
The Koni shocks I ordered finally arrived. Now I can start putting items that were waiting on shocks together.
Rear shocks assembled
The pictures show everything needed to put together the rear shocks. Well, almost. The “beer can” sliders in the first picture are the large cans that go on the front. I got my act together before taking the second picture. Then I screwed up again by liberally coating the shock threads with anti seize before screwing them into the lower adjusting cam. Don’t do that! The shocks will unscrew over time with use, possibly destroying the threads beyond repair. Put them in the lowers clean and dry. You can, of course, grease the adjuster cam.
Rear shocks installed
This picture shows the rear shocks mostly installed. When the picture was taken the top cap on the left shock was still missing.