1966 BMW R69S Restoration: Useful Links
Before getting to my restoration I want to share these useful links. Some supplied helpful information. Others are vendors. The first link is to the /2 mailing list. There you will find many very knowledgeable readers who that are quite happy to share their expertise and help diagnose and solve problems. It is a yahoo mailing list; you can read it on-line in your browser instead of getting many email messages/day if that is your desire. Check it out.
- /2 mailing list
- /2 horror story from Allan Atherton
- [link no longer works] John’s Beemer Garage
- [link no longer works] Bernd Kuepper’s pictures of tools and techniques
- BING Carburetors
- Mark Huggett GmbH
- Craig Vechorik’s Bench Mark Works
- Cycle Works
- Darryl Richman’s Home Page
- Brent’s Motorcycle Works
- Duane Ausherman’s BMW related pages
- [link no longer works] Erik Bahl’s R12
- [link no longer works] KEES’ BMW page
- Understanding And Maintaining The BMW /2 Electrical System by Doug Rinckes in PDF form. This is version 1.0 of a document that since has turned into a full fledged book. I recommend you buy the book. Vech has it (book 001 in his parts/price list).
- Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, Ltd
The earliest pictures were taken with a camera that could create an amazing 1024 x 768 pixel image. At least I thought it was amazing at the time! It had 6 megabytes of internal storage that held up to 30 of the large images or 120 smaller, 512 x 384 pixel images. Those were my only two choices. There was no way to add external memory. Alas, I typically had the camera to set at the lower resolution as I didn’t know any better. My photography skills were not all that great, either. They are slightly better, now.
I’ve spent many hours trying to enhance and enlarge the original photos. Apparently my post processing skills are about equal to my photography skills: both need lots of improvement. Please accept my apologies in advance for the terrible picture quality.
Now on to the restoration story…