After the restoration: 21,600 Mile Service

Saturday, May 28, 2011 [21046 miles]

New Tire Time

It’s not yet time for the next service, but I’ve given up on the Heidenau tire I mounted just 1100 miles ago. At least I’ve given up on it as a front tire. I’ll keep the rear for a little longer.

The tire does not handle rain grooves well. If the grooves are new the bike jumps around so much it is very hard to control. There are a few sections of local freeways where I can not ride as a result. No thanks. Also, the front of the bike feels like it is running on an edge and wants to fall into turns. It also wants to weave back and forth at low speeds, probably due to the same reason. At first I thought the steering bearings were too tight, but they checked out to be perfect. So out with the old and in with something new. Hopefully the new will be better.

New tire

New tire

New tire
Universal

Universal

Universal

I’m going back to Avon, but this time an AM26 universal tire. That universal bit means the same tire can be mounted front or rear. Alas, it doesn’t mean I can swap wheels front to rear as the tire needs to be swapped on the rim for proper operation. Note the two directional arrows on the sidewall in the second image. I’m using a 100/90 as a close approximation of a 3.50 tire. Last time I used Avon (about 10K miles ago) I used an AM-21 in 110/90 size for the rear. It turned out to be too wide.

Bye-bye

Bye-bye

Bye-bye
Take a load off

Take a load off

Take a load off

This is the Heidenau that is coming off the bike. The second pictures shows my home made adaptor to use a scissor jack under the oil pan. The jack and center stand support the bike when the tire is off.

I’ve enough pictures of changing tires that I didn’t bother putting another set up to bore you. Tubed tires are easy to change, anyway. Well, they’re easy now that I have a tire stand and some decent irons. I used to complain about the job.

I cleaned up the front brake shoes and the brake backing plate while it was off the bike, too.

Needs cleaning

Needs cleaning

Needs cleaning
Pretty

Pretty

Pretty
Almost done

Almost done

Almost done

I spent more time cleaning the rim than I did wrestling with rubber. The last image was taken as I was lowering the scissor jack to line up the swing arm and wheel to insert the axle. I find that easier than trying to hold the wheel in the air.

It started to drizzle just as I finished. By the time I put tools and other vehicles away it was raining a touch harder. OK, the test ride will have to wait until tomorrow. Maybe I’ll take the R69S to breakfast with the SMBC.

 

<=== Prev Next ===>