Re: old design was oilheads-digest V1 #47

In a message dated 1/6/04 10:12:11 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
    I remember in my Corvette days, I used roller rocker arms.
Never did understand why the Oilheads didn't have roller
rocker arms. So we are back to considering SOHC and pushrods
as a less than idea set-up all around vs. DOHC.
    Oh and Tom, it is good to hear from you. Those that follow
your posts know you and value you vast knowledge.>>

Thanks for the kind words, Doug.

The Krauser 4-valve head kits for Airheads had roller rockers. They lose
adjustment constantly. We tried making a set of 1.5:1 roller rockers for our
racebikes may years ago ('77 or '78, IIRC) and they opened a whole new can of
problems. Of course if the manufacturer started with the design, those problems
wouldn't happen. But rollers are heavy, and ANYTHING that increases valve train
mass is a BAD thing. It takes a lot of horsepower to overcome valve springs.
That's the primary benefit of Ducati's desmo system, not the over-rev safety,
which is secondary, because piston speed is the limiting factor in that engine
design.

Tom Cutter