New Design?

Greg, Robert & Mystery guest(s):

Last sort of non-BMW post on this subject

Sorry if I mixed up all of your posts.   I get the digest and it takes long
enough to "digest" everything and write the responses.  Apologies to Greg
especially.  I'm learning from Greg that the ST4S is probably a pretty nice
bike...better than my '99 ST4 was and just as the reviewers promised.
Greg, I also have a really nice dealer, but I've had a few back orders.  I'm
sure you've also read about some of the shennanigans of some of the East
Coast Duc dealers.   Hard to imagine this still going on in this day and
age.

As I said in my last post, there are some really nice things about the ST
platform.   The things that turn me off are the complexity of service and
the rattly dry clutch.  If Greg says the Ohlins suspension, better torque
and different wheels make the bike more fun, I'll believe him.  My ST4 had a
sweet engine and the bike was competent, just not the ball o' fun I
expected.   After I rode the Mille, the Duc just sat in the garage.   I'd
ride it only to move the fluids around so I figured it was time to sell.

Someone said that the Duc had lower weight and more power.  I think we all
agree on that.  Someone said that BMWs are overweight and underpowered,
well, I'm not so sure.   The Oilhead engine has lots of useable torque.  The
"engine as chassis" thing is great too.  Makes it all very solid.   I like
telelever, especially on unfamiliar roads at speed.   I like lots of
available engine braking in those conditions too.   The ST4 may make more
power, but the BMW makes better power, at least for dicing through the Blue
Ridge Mountains at 8 tenths.   The extra weight on the BMW goes to things
like a giant alternator so two people can ride it with electric clothing and
other things that wouldn't really be necessary on a sport bike, but are
really nice when you've got 2,000 miles to cover before you get home.   BMWs
aren't the fastest, but you can go a long ways on them and still have that
fun factor when you get to the really great roads.  If you already live in
sport bike heaven and just want something that will accommodate hard bags,
there are a lot of possibilities and the ST4S would certainly be on my short
list for local and mid-range rides.   They still tempt me today...in red,
please.

I was less taken with the Aprilia Futura.  It sounds even more like a
muffled fart than my RT.  That's really a shame with an engine like that.  I
don't think anyone makes an aftermarket can for it.  I like the pipe in the
middle because it allows full bags on both sides and lot of ground
clearance.  I'm wondering about the seat heating up during a long ride.
Sagen injection on this bike is smoother at very low revs, but doesn't have
the cajones of the Mille.  The
handling seems very conservative and soft.  It does long sweepers very well.
You can lean it into a turn and literally take your hands off the bars.  It
will maintain the line.  Although it really is pretty light for this type of
faired bike, under 500 lbs.,
it feels heavy.  It's still got that tremendous Mille engine, but the
package is just not quite right to me.  On the demo ride, some dash light or
other came on that wasn't supposed to.  There are a lot of little do-nothing
electrical features on this bike that can and do seem to go wrong.   I'd buy
one only if I could get a super discount.  As much as I love my '00 Mille,
I'd still be concerned about a Futura, mostly for these electrical gremlins
and lack of chassis fun.   I'd change the sprockets for more power.

The Falco has "sewing machine torque"?   Again, this is probably a gearing
issue combined with it being an unmodded bike.  My Mille has unbelievable
torque.  You can snip a wire and pull a plastic restrictor doughnut out of
the intake and completely change the engine.  My bike has that plus a Wolf
chip and Leo Vinci can, which saves 15 lbs. and has better breathing while
not being obnoxiously loud.  I also have an Evoluzion filter.  This setup
does not give high top speed, but pays off in torque all over the band.
These changes cost me about $400 total and make the bike extraordinary.  The
Falco would be the same.   Handling ought to be better than a K-bike.
Weight certainly is.   Falco can actually make a little more power than the
Mille because of the twin pipes.  Like all good bikes, you need to get on a
list and figure them out to get the most out of them.

I once rode the Mille through 3 days of torrential rain.  It was totally
reliable.  I've come to trust this bike completely.        The fact that I
could still walk after the experience speaks well for the riding position.
I've had the valves checked twice and they've not required adjustment. The
battery is starting to go after nearly 4 years.  It resets the computer
after a difficult start, then I have to convert from kilometers until I get
the manual out and reset everything.  I just installed a set of Cycle Cat
risers on this bike.  It's been snowing ever since.

- -TB