Re: Spline Lube

John, you wrote:
> Yup. That's what they all told me too. And at 50k my clutch was shot
> (possibly unrelated) and my input shaft splines were severely worn
> (definitely related).

Not sure if I have raised this heresy(?) on this forum or another but:  IMHO
all that lubing of the input splines does is to delay or eliminate
corrosion.  I cannot see how lubing can prevent damage to splines caused by
torque application and/or reversal since there is the very minimum of
sliding of the clutch plate involved and, when it is "sliding" there is no
torque being transmitted.

Question.  Was the wear on your input shaft localised to virtually the width
of the clutch plate internal splines?

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. (40C yesterday and today, RH around 70%)
'96 R850R   70k.km
'01 R1100RT 40k.km