RE: oilheads-digest V1 #49

	Well, apparently for you it's time to look elsewhere, as you
indicated you have already done. I certainly would not buy something that I
wasn't happy with.
	I never was an Airhead person. I always thought BMWs were butt
ugly...UNTIL I saw the RT. The body work covers up the ugly, and I think the
Oilhead engine is a tad bit better looking than the Airhead. I have made the
transition, and am at that stage in life where function is more important
than form anyway. BMWs have always had a very good reputation and that was
part of my decision making process back in 99.
	I simply love the RT. I just can't say enough good about it, so far.
It has carried me all over the country for 36,000 miles and has yet to give
me any problems, or even leak the first drop of oil. What else can I say...I
am like a pig in s**t. I also have a Goldwing and I actually would rather
travel on the RT than the Wing...simply because it is more fun to ride. I
don't know...maybe I am just ignorant about the way bikes should REALLY
be...maybe I don't know what I am missing. I sure am fat dumb and happy with
the RT though.
	What is it that you are looking for BMW to change about the
bikes...what is it that keeps you from buying a new model. Ever think that
you are just being toooooo picky? Like I said in my previous post, BMW is
not going to make a tailor made bike to anyone's specifications.  They make
them to their specifications and you just have to live with it. I think
sometimes they add or change things that wind up being bad choices. Given
enough customer feedback or bad sales figures these things eventually get
changed. I don't think they are any different than any other manufacturer.
One or two, or even a half dozen, people complaining on a mailing list isn't
going to have much of an effect.
	What do you find in other bikes that you have bought that BMWs do
not have. I don't think you will find all of the qualities you are looking
for in any one bike. And there are as many different opinions about those
qualities as there are people riding motorcycles. BMW is like any other
manufacturer...they are trying to please everybody with 4 or 5 motorcycles.
It's just not possible.

Stan Rife
Houston, TX
1999 R1100RT

Don MacQueen wrote:

Success is relative, and relative to say early '90's sales numbers, I'd
agree.

That's not the point, at least not for me.  I'm on my third BMW.  I'd
like to look forward to the fourth, fifth, sixth.  Unfortunately, the
current offerings give me no reason to part with the two I have.  In
fact, current offerings have led me to buy other manufacturers' bikes.

Obviously, YMMV.