Re: oilheads-digest V1 #49

Bruno Valeri from Montreal wrote in response to my post:

>  > Current styling is stale.
>
>Which bikes are you referring to?
>FWIW, I think the R1150R is a real sleeper.

Better than the first R1100Rs, and fresher than the RSs and RTs.

>The RT is still a looker.

...eyes of the beholder, and certainly no leap from the original.

>The GS just got better.

NOBODY ever accused the GS of being a looker.

>  > 100 honest RWHP
>
>No problem for a multi cylinder motor, but maybe a tall order for
>the current Boxer.

I knew someone would say that.  If that's true, how come Guzzi's
getting 100 out of 1000ccs in their new model?

>  > At least 75 fewer pounds.
>
>Lighter would be nice. I'd certainly appreciate it. But some seem
>to appreciate the stability offered by the extra heft.

Please!  Stability.  Heft.  That's *exactly* what I want in the WVa
or NC mountains.   Geez.

>I don't see reliability to be a prime reason to buy BMW.
>Hasn't been so for a while. Going forward, BMW will have
>difficulty differentiating itself on reliability. Reliability is
>becoming a given. For example, I expect a Honda ST1100 to be very
>reliable and low maintenance for the first 150,000 miles.

I remember when reliability *was* both a prime reason to buy a BMW
*and* a given.  Why shouldn't it still be so?

>Historically, they have never been cutting edge (Telelever, ABS
>etc aside).

With all due respect, you apparently haven't been around long enough
or haven't paid attention:  First telescopic fork:  BMW.
Supercharging:  BMW race bikes.  First superbike champion?  BMW.
First nikasi cylinders?  BMW  First FI:  Okay, that was Kawasaki
(Robert says Honda...650 turbo?), but BMW was the first to put it
into larger production numbers.  Then there's the flopped four, ABS,
monolever, paralever, telelever

>The Boxer sure is not cutting edge. They've masssaged it about as
>much as is possible. In a very real sense,  BMW is prisoner of
>legacy systems. It cannot start with a clean slate (for example
>like Honda can). It has legacy to protect.

That's abject nonsense.  The first K-bike was clean slate.  Relative
to the airheads, the 257 oilheads were clean slate other than the
direction the cylinders point.

>As a consumer, what'd I'd appreciate is more market
>responsiveness and less arrogance. If there is a problem, admit
>it. Then fix it. Don't deny it.

I agree, but that's a parallel issue.  BUT, if consumers continue to
buy the bikes as is, the market pressure to improve even those
factors is minimized.

Vote with your wallet.  Once you buy the bike, they already have your money.

And in your second post:

>If you want styling changes every two years, you have to buy
>Japanese.  :)

How about every five?  The RS design is 10 years old.  Other than the
headlight and a couple accents, the RT is nearly that old.

>But I suspect that stability of design is what many BMW riders
>appreciate.

Only if what you want is a brand new 10 year old motorcycle.  Kind of
like a German Royal Enfield?

>  > Well what besides telelever has this innovative engineering got
>>us?

>Variable ergonomics,

Sure.  Like on the K12RS...several options, ranging from
uncomfortable to torture.

>heated grips

Came out in about 1985 or earlier.  Electric toaster strips.  Advanced stuff.

>Somehow, I get the hunch that a lot of the faithful would be
>turned off if styling changes began happening every two years.

Like I said above...

>  > Why not? They killed the Airhead (finally).

>Not really. It's still the boxer twin. Nothing's really changed.
>They've just been tweaking the same engine configuration.

Never looked at the insides of those two generations, have ya?
That's like saying the engine in your 929 is the same as the 1969
CB750.

- --
____________________________________
Don MacQueen, Shelby NC