Re: DOT 5, Crashes, and anything but pushrod vs OHC

If there was a wish list, I'd wish Robert and his antagonizers (actually, I'm not sure who is the antagonizer) would take it private.

As for DOT 5, I've never used it, cant comment.

As for crashing, I have plenty of experience at that =:-o

I credit lack of ABS for saving me in a particularly nasty crash.  Was younger, less experienced (had yet to take an MSF class) and was watching the side of the road, not the car in front, doing about 50mph on a rural 2 lane.  When I looked back, he was stopped dead, signaling a left turn.  Traffic approaching in the oncoming lane and a steep drop off on my right.  I simply locked the brakes and went down on the right side, sliding into the rear of the Ford station wagon.  It was not a conscious decision, I just grabbed a handful of front brake and the lowside was the result.  IF I had had ABS, I would have remained upright and would have hit the rear of the wagon with enough force to throw me either into the rear window or over the top.  As it turned out, I had no broken bones, some interior damage to my right knee and a few scrapes.  I was wearing good gear and it saved me from worse damage.

Do I advocate throwing the bike down in an impending crash?  Absolutely not!  Rubber gives much better tractiont (friction) than metal, plastic or flesh.  Learn proper braking techniques, practice them often and don't rely on ABS to save your ass!  And........watch where you are going!

PS, there is no perfect bike!  I loved my first '85 FJ1100 and my R1100RT.  I like my present FJR1300 a lot and my R1150RT is for sale (at 27,000 miles I'm already on my second transmission, speedometer, clutch master/slave cylinders and fuel sending unit.) The KLR is a keeper for all around fun.

Russ Locke
San Antonio, TX
(but a Coloradian forever....)
'02 R1150RT, '98 KLR650, '04 FJR1300, '64 TR4
PITS, MOA, Oilheads, VTR, etc.
MSF Rider Coach
end