Re: [Fwd: RT Linked Brakes]

OK.  So I might sound like a wimp, or even a chicken-s**t here.  Butt!
There are several kinds of people in this world when it comes to panic
or emergency situations.

Let's say your riding along at 60 mph and a car suddenly pulls out in
front of you.  Full boat accident waiting to happen.  Your only option
is to stop.  You have no ABS.  Which guy are you:

1 - Cool head under any situation.  Will properly feather the brakes
(both front and rear) regardless of the pavement conditions and come to
a stop faster than any ABS bike could do.  This guy stops two feet
short of the car, which is now stopped in the middle of the road.

2 - Hot shot who thinks he has a cool head under any situation.  This
guy locks the back brake, really doesn't get more than about 60% on the
front.  He slides into the car at about 20 mph.  Later he swears there
was no room to stop, and he did the best he could in this situation.

3 - Joe wimp sees the car pull out and freezes up.  Gets the bike
pulled down pretty well but still hits the car (or alternately locks
both wheels and slides in).  After, he says 'Damn, I know when this
type of situation comes up, I am not prepared to act cool enough under
pressure.  I need help with this.'

OK.  I admit it.  I'm a number 3.  Like a deer in the head light, I
need assistance to make this stop quickly.  ABS really works for me.
Prevents rear wheel lock up, and keeps me upright until I stop.

If you are a #1, I salute you.  You are in the minority.

If you are a #2,  you need to learn more about yourself.  This is not a
question of courage or anything else.  Simply a fact that different
people have different reactions in that first half second of an
emergency.  What your courage or you riding skills do for you 5 seconds
later don't matter here.  Just my 2 cents.

Bob Hadden '98RS