Re: oilheads-digest V1 #111

On 2/23/04 9:06 AM, Edward Begley edbegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I'd love to run a test on tires with guys that claim they can tell the
>difference between them.  In such a test I'd almost bet the farm that
>most(in fact hugely most 90% plus) COULD NOT identify correctly which tire
>brand they had on.
[snip]

Several months ago, a reputable motorcycle magazine did something
similar. They had a "Tire Shootout" comparison for the top brands and
tire models. They provided all their metrics and conclusions, and in the
end, said something to the effect of: 'the difference between the best
tire and worst tire in this comparo is the difference between 96 point
and 92 points, a margin of only 4 point. Where one tire does a bit better
in the rain, another does a bit better in feedback, and another warms up
a bit quicker. They're all great tires, and it's more a matter of
personal taste than being able to identify a clear winner.'

For folks that are prepared to argue the importance of motorcycle tires,
and feel that those "4 points" are a critical safety element, they have
missed the point that there is no over-all "top dog in all categories."
Get what works for your riding style, and what you like best. For me,
Metzeler M-1 front and back, stock size and profile (5" rear). I'm happy
with them, and they're WAY better than my old Michelin Street Pilots with
12,000 km and almost no tread on 'em ;-)

- -Steve

 Oakville, Ontario, Canada
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin