Re: Spline Lube

Clive,   The drive shaft splines were fine and had a nice coat of
grease on them.  The clutch spline was dry, but had been lubed.  So it
was time to lube them.  Much better to go in and find this out, then to
not go in and find out after the  splines are damaged.

As far as I know, the only reason for worn out splines would be a lack
of lubrication.  Just because BMW doesn't say these things need
lubrication, doesn't make it true.  It is freely admitted that air
heads need this service.  My limited experience changing clutches in
cars is that, in every case, I found dry splines were a major part of
the problem.

Bob Hadden '98RS