RE: Spline Lube

Maybe if it was necessary to split our cars in half every couple of years to lube the drive shaft  we'd think doing that to our motorcycles was an acceptable maintenance requirement.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Marco S Hyman
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:56 PM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Spline Lube

ABSDoug2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
 > 	You know all this spline lube talk has me thinking. Perhaps a
 > chain isn't the worst way to go. Even a belt. I've never taken my

Chains are know to need an occasional lube :-).   They are a wear item
as is the drive sprocket.

This leads to questions of perception.   The perception is that the drive
shaft splines lasts forever, so maintenance of the shaft is seen as a
hardship and an example of "obvious manufacturing mis-design".

But everyone knows that chains need to be replaced and every "n" chain
replacements the drive sprocket needs to be replaced too.   How come this
isn't seen as an "obvious manufacturing mis-design"?

What am I missing?

My R1150RT had its 24K service yesterday.   It rode well enough going
to the shop.  It was downright purring on the ride home.   I'm looking
forward to the next chance to put some serious miles on the bike.

// marc