Re: Spline Lube

On 2/27/04 10:05 AM, Seth Miller wrote:

> But, this leads me to another question... has anyone actually seen or
> personally know of a failed clutch input spline on an oilhead?

Yeah. Go to BMWSportTouring.com and search on "clutch spline". Here's
one discussion:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=292707&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

> Perhaps this is good advice, or is there a real and documented problem
> with spline failures on the oilhead line? If not then a spline lube on
> an oilhead seems like a lot of work to do for something that isn't
> absolutely required.

The clutch spline failures seem to be at high mileage (80~100K),
although they're so rare it's hard to see a pattern. Given the amount of
work needed to get to the clutch splines on an Oilhead, my personal
cost-benefit analysis says don't worry about it. (As it happens, the
tranny was off my bike at 60K and 80K and the splines were fine).

- --
David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL 393 455 * BMWMOA BMWRA IBA AMA ABATE
1997 R1100RT Sine(us) Blue "No name" * Illinois IBMWR plate * 01, 03 IBR
1999 F650 Black (hers - no, really)
1999 Subaru Forester S "also a Boxer"
http://www.davidebsmith.org