Re: Spline Lube

> > But, this leads me to another question... has anyone actually seen or
> > personally know of a failed clutch input spline on an oilhead?
>
> Yeah. Go to BMWSportTouring.com and search on "clutch spline". Here's
> one discussion:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=292707&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I'm not sure that this thread really details a problem. The transmisison
input splines were dry as a bone but appeared to be in perfect condition.
The spline on the clutch disk might have been worn, hard to tell how much
without being able to compare to an original part, but even so the clutch
disk itself is a consumable part that is likely to be replaced long before
the spline has any liklihood of failing so some wear on that part isn't much
of an issue.

I searched the rest of the forum's oilhead maintenance section with the key
words 'spline' and 'wear' and couldn't find any threads that detailed any
failures, in fact most that had done the job themselves noted that the
tranny splines were found to be in good condition.

> > But, this leads me to another question... has anyone actually seen or
> > personally know of a failed clutch input spline on an oilhead? >>
>
>     I have seen several. One friend has experienced two failures on the
same
> bike within 30K miles. She may never ride BMW again, after riding them for
> almost 25 years.

Yikes! Are you certain that the failure was due to input spline wear and not
some other transmission problem (of which there admittedly are many)? Given
how rare outright spline failures are on the oilheads it seems that two of
the same failures in 30K miles would have to be due to some very unusual
cause. Now if you said it was popping out of gear then that would make
sense...  ;-)